Chinese (Simplified)EnglishFrenchSpanish
Green Card

Apply For A Green Card

Secure a better future for yourself and your family, and consider applying for a green card.

With a green card, you’ll be able to live and work permanently in the United States. You’ll also have access to better jobs, education, and healthcare.

Green Cards

A “Green Card” or Lawful Permanent Resident Card is evidence of a person’s lawful permanent resident status and proves that a person is authorized to live and work in the United States. Green card holders have many rights and responsibilities, including the right to live and work permanently in the United States, the right to sponsor family members for green cards, and the responsibility to follow all U.S. laws.

Ways to Obtain a Green Card

There are a variety of ways to obtain a green card in the United States, and it is not always simple to obtain one. The most common ways are listed below.
Special Immigrant
Refugee or Asylee Status
Victims of Crime
Victims of Abuse
The Green card lottery or Investment visas.


Request a case evaluation from our staff to get started.

Case Evaluation
Are you an existing client?

Processes of Obtaining a Green Card

Adjustment of Status
Adjustment of status is the process used when a noncitizen is physically present in the United States and applies for lawful permanent resident status. Adjustment of status saves the noncitizen from having to return to their home country.

Consular Processing
If the noncitizen is already outside of the United States, they may apply at a U.S. Department of State embassy or consulate abroad for an immigrant visa so that they can come to the United States and be admitted as a permanent resident. Additionally, if the noncitizen is inside the U.S., depending on their circumstances, they may need to return to their home country to obtain an immigrant visa and return with the visa before their Green Card will be issued. In both instances, this is referred to as consular processing.

What Documents Does the Applicant Need to Provide?

The documents required for a green card vary depending on the situation but generally include the following:
Birth Certificate
Divorce or annulment (If applicable)
Proof of lawful U.S. entry and status (If applicable)
Current/expired U.S. visas
Marriage Certificate
Financial documents
Criminal background check
Medical examination document

Conditional Permanent Residents

Conditional Permanent Resident

In the case of marriage-based immigration, you are a conditional resident if you were married for less than two years to your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse on the day your permanent resident status was granted. If you have children, they may also be conditional residents. If your green card was based upon marriage to a U.S. citizen then you will have to prove once again that your marriage is real after the two-year period.

Not every couple remains together after having received a green card, and in those cases, you should absolutely speak to an experienced immigration attorney to discuss what can be done when it comes time to remove the conditions from your green card.

If you are a conditional resident then you should apply to remove the conditions from your green card within 90 days of your two-year expiration date.

Your conditional green card cannot be renewed. If you do not remove the conditions from your green card within the 90-day window before your conditional green card expires then you will have to leave the United States.

After Becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident

There are many things that you should know about your permanent resident status after receiving either your conditional or not permanent resident card.

Traveling Abroad
Temporary or brief travel does not usually affect a permanent resident’s status
If you are outside the U.S. for more than 12 months, then you will be required to show additional documentation to re-enter the country as a permanent resident.
If you are outside the U.S. for a year or longer, you cannot use your green card to re-enter the U.S.
If you will be outside the U.S. for a year or longer and you are a permanent resident then you should for an I-131
If you are outside the U.S. for longer than 181 days then you are subject to a full immigration inspection

Rights as a Permanent Resident
Live permanently in the U.S. provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable under U.S. immigration laws
Work in the U.S.
Enjoy all the protections of U.S. law
Own property in the U.S.
Attend public school
Apply for a driver’s license in your state
Join the military and Receive Social Security and Medicare benefits (if eligible).

Responsibilities as a Permanent Resident
Obey all laws of the U.S.
File income taxes
Support democratic forms of government
Register for the Selective Service
Maintain immigration status
Carry proof of your permanent resident status at all times; and
Change your address with USCIS each time you move.

You may lose your permanent resident status if you abandon it.
You can abandon your permanent resident status if you leave the country and live abroad permanently with the intent of giving up your permanent resident status.

Crimes Affecting Permanent Resident Status
You may lose your permanent resident status in certain circumstances if you commit any of the following crimes

A crime is defined as an aggravated felony
Sexual assault of a minor
Illegal trafficking in drugs or people; or
A crime of moral turpitude

There are serious consequences to the following:

Claim to be a United States Citizen
Vote in elects open only to U.S. citizens

Helping Families Build a Future Together

The process of obtaining a green card can take months or even years. Once you have a green card, you may also be eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship. [I’d like to link U.S. citizenship to our page about U.S. citizenship]

At The Presti Law Firm, PLLC we can help you navigate the complex process of obtaining a green card. We are committed to providing each client with the personalized support they need to successfully apply for a permanent residency, whether through employment, family-based petitions, or humanitarian visas

Let Us Help You With Your Immigration Needs

Contact Us

If you are interested in applying for a green card or want to petition a family member, the first step is to contact us and let us know about your situation to help you determine your eligibility and options.

Choosing A Path

We will analyze your situation and determine your eligibility for different options such as employment-based, family-sponsored green cards, etc.,

Personalized Strategy

Once we have an understanding of your unique situation and eligibility, we will work with you to develop the best strategy for you. This may include helping you prepare for interviews or supporting documentation needed to apply for a green card.

We will also be available to answer any questions or concerns that may arise throughout the application process so that you can feel confident and secure in your decisions.